Saturday, February 26, 2011

World Read Aloud Day: March 9, 2011

I just found this on the LitWorld website. I plan to participate. My third graders love to read aloud. I do feel that this has helped to encourage reading. We practice The Daily Five during reader's workshop four days a week. Friday is a little different.(I got this idea from my teaching partner, Mishelle) Each student brings a flashlight, sometimes a stuffed animal, for reader's workshop. Students grab their books, choose a reading partner, find that special reading place, and on go the flashlights. I turn off the overhead lights and everyone takes turns reading aloud to their partner. As I walk around the room I hear wonderful reading voices. They convey excitement, sadness, drama, and more. My students can't wait to read aloud. At the end of our oral reading time we have a 'lasar show'. This is when my students shine the flashlights on the ceiling and around the room. The overhead lights go on... flashlights go off...until next Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment